thank you, john stuart mill!
It is so disturbing and deeply sad for me as an America-loving immigrant who learned to enjoy and honor the beauty of Free Speech to watch Americans literally using the PC crap as a weapon to murder the unique legacy of John Stuart Mill, proposed and confirmed by our Founding Fathers on the first amendment.
It happened once again this week right here at home, TX District 11.
Here are my takes on this:
1. The PC crap was created by Marxist-Leninists following the Russian Revolution of 1917. This fact alone should be enough for America to erradicate it from its vocabulary!
2. There is NO such thing as the "exclusion of identity groups" based on language usage.
3. The "sexist language promotes sexism and racial language promotes racism" belief is only a reality in minds brainwashed by progressivism and the Frankfurt School's critical thinking.
4. Political Correctness was created exactly with the intent of censoring and curtailing Freedom of Speech, placing limits on debates in the public arena and controlling behavior at gun point by labelling language as "offensive" where no offense exists.
Have today's Americans forgotten (or ever read) chapter 2 of John Stuart Mill’s On Liberty???
"...the peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth produced by its collision with error."
Complicated? Not really. In fact, quite simple:
1. Truth is valuable! We should then enable everybody to arrive at true beliefs about the world.
2. Freedom of Speech leads people to an increasing understanding of truths about the world. The silencing or censorship of expression, on the other hand, always prevents people from arriving at a clear understanding of true beliefs about the world.
3. Therefore, we must promote Freedom of Speech and work to prevent any silencing or censorship of expression, ESPECIALLY those we don't like!!! No individual or government should ever be given power to control speech!!!
In a nutshell,
1. There is no such thing as Free Speech and Hate Speech. There is only SPEECH.
2. Bad speech can only be overcome by a unlimited abundance of good speech.
3. Any attempt to muzzle speech, including the ones considered bad speech, is not progress, it's REGRESS.
4. You want safe space? Well, I will always want FREEDOM! Sorry, you can't have both!
Thanks, John Stuart Mill!!!
America, grow up and get over it!!!
ELIEL ROSA has built a solid career in the urban planning and public policy arenas in Brazil, Latin American countries, Portuguese-speaking African nations, Spain and in the US for the past 20 years. However, instead of keeping a long list of professional credentials and accomplishments, there is a special, top feature he would want you to retain: he is a diehard America-loving legal immigrant!